Sunday is cooking day and I got an early start this morning with a batch of paleo protein bars. I was prepping all of my ingredients and went to my fridge to grab the eggs, but there were no eggs to be found. At that moment I realized that the spendy, organic, cage-free, deep golden-yolked dozen eggs I bought yesterday had been thrown out. By me. I forgot to take them out of the grocery bag. I’m an idiot. So after an emergency egg run, I set out to make some Dark Chocolate Cherry Paleo Protein Bars:
(Adapted from this recipe)
-1 C each whole almonds and pecan halves
-1/4 C pepitas
-1/4 C cashew butter
-1/4 C extra virgin coconut oil, melted
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-1 tsp cinnamon
-3 T raw honey
-1 scoop vanilla casein protein powder
-3/4 C almond meal/flour
-1/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut
-1/3 C enjoy life chocolate chunks (or any dark chocolate you like)
-1 C dried cherries (chopped)
1. Toast nuts and seeds, then chop up nuts.
2. Mix dry ingredients (protein powder, almond flour, coconut) in a bowl and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add cashew butter, coconut oil, egg, vanilla, cinnamon and honey. Mix until well combined.
4. Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix on low until just combined.
5. Add chopped nuts, pepitas, and dried cherries to mixer and combine.
6. Mix in chocolate chunks (I had to do this by hand – this is a THICK dough!)
7. Press dough into an ungreased baking dish. I used an 8×8 brownie dish because I wanted the bars to be thicker, but the original recipe says to use a 9×13. It just changes your cooking time.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for ~17-20 minutes, until edges are just browned. (12 minutes if you use a 9×13 pan)
These were delicious!!! I don’t have a photo because I made this batch for a friend, but I picked up more cherries on my way home so I can make another batch for myself. Try them – chocolate and cherries are a match made in heaven!
Then for early dinner, I made PaleOMG’s smoky acorn squash soup. So. Freaking. Yum. Here’s what my bowl looked like:
I love Sunday!