Have you heard of Nikki’s Coconut Butter? CB is the new PB in my life these days and this company makes some super yummy flavors. However, at $10 a pop for a little 8 oz jar, I can’t justify ordering this stuff on the regular.
I saw a ton of blogs professing the ease with which one can make homemade CB using flaked coconut, a little coconut oil, and some patience with your food processor. I was at Whole Food hunting down flaked coconut when I came across a little box of “creamed coconut” from Let’s Do Organic. It was only $2 so I figured I’d try it.
I ordered Nikki’s Vanilla Cake flavored CB and the ingredients seemed pretty basic, so I decided to tackle this flavor first.
Vanilla Cupcake CB
-1 7 oz box Creamed Coconut
-1-2 T raw honey
-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. “Thaw” the creamed coconut. This stuff is hard as a rock when you buy it, so remove the plastic bag from the box and place in a bowl of very hot tap water. Let this sit for 5 minutes until the creamed coconut melts a bit and becomes squishy/liquefied. Refill the bowl with fresh hot water as needed to accomplish this.
2. Cut open the plastic bag and squeeze the contents into the bowl of your food processor. Add your honey and vanilla.
3. Blend on low for about 30 sec – 1 min. Scrape the sides of your bowl, the blend again. The more you blend the less gritty it will be!
4. Store in a mason jar. I just reuse my Nikki’s jar because this recipe fits the jar exactly!
5. Note- if your CB seems a little too oily when you put it in the jar, never fear. It will be fine when it cools a little bit.
Voila! I love this stuff on baked sweet potatoes for some reason – yum yum!