Vacations are great, but it’s so nice to be home! I went to bed super early last night and was rewarded with 10 glorious hours of uninterrupted slumber. I hit the grocery store first thing this morning to start getting ready for the week ahead.
When I got home, I set out to make a veggie-ful breakfast in preparation for my upcoming W30. Inspired by one of my favorite dishes, huevos rancheros, this one is loaded with greenery and protein and sure to become a staple during the next month!
Whole 30 Huevos Verduras
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup diced veggies (I used bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower)
- 1/2 to 1 spicy pork or chicken sausage (I used Aidells Spicy Mango with Jalepeno Chicken Sausage)
- Ground oregano, garlic powder, fresh or dried cilantro, salt & pepper – to taste
- 1 big handful baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- Heat some fat in a large skillet over medium-low heat. This morning I used bacon fat. YUM.
- Add your onion and saute, cooking until softened slightly.
- Add your veggies (except the spinach). Stir to coat evenly with fat and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add your seasonings to taste – I listed the ones I used, but any of your favorite southwestern spices would be fine. If you’re using fresh cilantro or other spices, do not add it until the very end.
- Toss spinach into the pan and cook until wilted. Add any remaining fresh spices and cook for a couple minutes to combine. Remove from heat and pile onto your plate.
- In the same pan you used to make the veggies, cook your two eggs however you like. I made basic fried eggs – super runny style. Again, YUM.
- Top your veggie-sausage mixture with the two eggs and enjoy!