OMG I just had the most delicious lunch! I made it yesterday but didn’t taste it and I’m glad I didn’t or I wouldn’t have had anything to bring to work today 🙂
I found this recipe in a Fitness magazine from a couple months ago. I just happened to be browsing the magazine in the…er…commode yesterday and saw the recipe and since I had everything on hand already, I knew I had to whip it up!
Kale and Butternut Squash Saute:
- 2 T evoo or fat of choice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 C sweet onion, diced
- 3 lbs butternut squash, diced into 1/2″ pieces (I used one of those pre-diced containers from whole foods)
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 2 T fresh lemon juice and zest of one lemon
- toasted walnuts or pecans, chopped
- unsweetened dried cranberries
- Heat fat in a large pan or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, and squash and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add kale, lemon zest and lemon juice and cook another 5-7 minutes until squash is tender and kale is wilted. I then deglazed the pan with a little bit of chicken stock because I happened to have it out.
- Remove from heat, add a few tablespoons of the chopped nuts and dried cranberries. Stir and enjoy!
Note: The original recipe calls for some crumbled goat cheese sprinkled over the dish at the end, which I’m sure would be tasty. For lunch, I sliced up an Aidell’s chicken apple sausage, grilled each piece on both sides, and had that with the squash sauté…SO FREAKING GOOD. Oh, and this isn’t my photo – apparently others have discovered this recipe and love it just as much as I do!
You may now return to your regularly scheduled workday…